- Debating prescribing opioids for treating chronic pain. 100,000 people are estimated to have died over the last two decades of opioid related causes in North America. The American Academy of Neurology says it is time to restrict the use of opioids and has sparked a debate within the Canadian medical community. CBC Radio The Current Anna Maria Tremonti, October 10, 2014. Dr. David Juurlink and Dr. Andrea Furlan. Listen
- VIDEO: Opioids do not work in most forms of chronic pain; BETHESDA, MD. – The reimbursement model for managing patients with chronic pain needs to change before physicians will stop prescribing opioids, according to Dr. Daniel J. Clauw, speaking at a National Institutes of Health–sponsored pathways to prevention panel on opioids. By: SALLY KOCH KUBETIN, Family Practice News Digital Network OCTOBER 1, 2014.
- Amy Graves from GPDOTS talks to Rick Howe from News 957 about the September 28th, 2014 Fed Up Rally in Washington DC Listen
- “Evidenced based” behavioral medicine as bad as bad pharma, by James Coyne , Professor at University Medical Center, Groningen (UMCG), the Netherlands, Aug 28, 2014. Slideshare
- Academic Life in Emergency Medicine (ALiEM) The Opioid Prescription Epidemic; August 11, 2014 Video – “Google Hangout with the authors”; Twitter Feed, medical articles…The Opioid Prescription Epidemic: Annals of EM Resident Perspectives article
- The FED UP! Rally and America’s Opioid Epidemic. The Rally’s Steering Committee Chair, as well as the President of the Steve Rummler Hope Foundation, Judy Rummler, on BlogTalkRadio – ‘The Growing Up Chaotic Show’. August 6, 2014. Listen
- CBC Radio Fighting opioid overdoses: is Canada on the right track?
Friday, July 11, 2014 | Categories: Day 6 Blog Opioids are a leading cause of death in young adults in Ontario, according to a study released earlier this week. In an effort to curb Canada’s prescription-drug abuse problem, Health Canada is moving to force the makers of all opioids to render their products resistant to crushing, to make snorting or injecting more difficult. Advocate Ada Tompson, who lost her son to a prescribed opioid, shares her story and addiction expert Benedikt Fischer critiques Heath Canada’s proposed plan. Listen
- CTV National News: A Public Health Crisis – A New Study that says the number of people dying from opioid over doses has skyrocketed. July 8, 2014, V.P. ARPO Video
- Rick Howe and Amy Graves, GPDOTS, discuss tamper resistant opioids and increased rates of opioid deaths. – News 957, July 8, 2014 Listen
- THE NATIONAL | Jul 7, 2014 | 2:22 Prescription drug overdose deaths on the rise; Opioid-related deaths in Ontario soar almost 250% over 20 years; ARPO member Video
- METRO MORNING | Jul 7, 2014 | 6:37 Opioid Report, A new report finds opioid use kills one in eight young people. Matt Galloway spoke with Dennis Long, Executive Director of Breakaway Addiction Services, about the findings. Audio
- Number Needed to Treat: Treatments Don’t Work Like You Think They Work. One of the problems with the way we discuss health interventions is that we see them in black and white. Something is either good for you or bad for you. Things are rarely that simple, though. Moreover, there’s “good for you” and “GOOD FOR YOU”. How do you tell the difference? Watch and learn. July 6, 2014. Video
- IOM’s 100 million in chronic pain figure criticized by experts at NIH meeting. June 23, 2014. Features Michael VonKorff. Video
- White House Summit on the Opioid Epidemic, June 19, 2014. Video
- AllTrials: Make clinical trials count - May 19, 2014 Video
- Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control hearing America’s Addiction to Opioids: Heroin and Prescription Drug Abuse, May 14, 2014 - Video
- What’s ailing us? Many serious illnesses we face are embarrassingly simple to avoid. Ezra Klein talks with Center for Disease Control director Tom Frieden, April, 2014. Video & Print.
- Doctors, medical staff on drugs put patients at risk, USA Today, April 17, 2014 Video
- Amy Graves of GPDOTS discusses Zohydro with Rick Howe – News 957 – 17/04/2014 http://wp.me/p1OvGy-ra
- Drug Treatment Courts coming to N.S. – CBC NEWS 17/04/14: http://youtu.be/mUlaOqNYUIY?a Featuring Amy Graves of GPDOTS
- Study on Prescription Pharmaceuticals in Canada Dr. David Juurlink, Head, Division of clinical pharmacology and toxicology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences) Social Affairs, Science and Technology Committee, March 27, 2014; Senate – Parliament of Canada.
- March 13, 2014: Drug Crisis in Our Backyard At the Phoenix Academy in Shrub Oak. Guest Speakers: Dr. Andrew Kolodny – Phoenix House Chief Medical Officer and President of Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing (PROP); David Sheff – Journalist and New York Times Best-selling Author of Clean, and Beautiful Boy; Greg Williams – Health Policy Advocate and Award-winning Filmmaker, The Anonymous People
- Scientific Integrity and Transparency Under Scrutiny: Lessons from Retraction Watch, 3rd World Conference on Research Integrity, Montreal May 7, 2013. Ivan Oransky, Retraction Watch
- Documentary: Painkillers – Tracking the Prescription Drug Epidemic, Video
- Listen to: The Dr. Peter Breggin Hour
- ‘Sound Medicine’: Waking Up to Opioids and Stopping the Cycle of Addiction, Indiana University, January 5, 2014
- Video ”Do No Harm” on opioid prescribing & teens, by Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing; www.supportprop.org
- Deadly Medicines and Organised Crime… Gotzsche – October 3, 2013 YouTube How Big Pharma is Corrupting Healthcare. In his latest ground-breaking book, Peter C. Gøtzsche exposes the pharmaceutical industries and their charade of fraudulent behavior, both in research and marketing where the morally repugnant disregard for human lives is the norm 1. He convincingly draws close comparisons with the tobacco conglomerates, revealing the extraordinary truth behind efforts to confuse and distract the public and their politicians.
The book addresses, in evidence-based detail, an extraordinary system failure caused by widespread crime, corruption, bribery and impotent drug regulation in need of radical reforms.
- FedUp Rally 2013 Published on Nov 2, 2013 Video highlights of the 2013 FEDUP Rally in Washington, DC. A day to remember!
- Audio AIRTALK 89.3 KPCC Larry Mantle; FDA wants to restrict access to addictive painkillers; Dr. Andrew Kolodny, M.D., Chief Medical Officer of Phoenix House, a nonprofit addiction treatment organization and President of Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing (PROP); Robert Twillman Director of Advocacy and Policy for the American Academy of Pain Management; October 28, 2013.
- Audio (NPRnews) With Rise Of Painkiller Abuse, A Closer Look At Heroin, features Dr. Andrew Kolodny, chief medical officer for the national drug treatment network Phoenix House and President of Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing, November 2, 2013.
- Video The Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic and the Role of PMPs. Dr. Len Paulozzi, presented by The PMP Center of Excellence, Brandeis University
- Episode 10 When Morphine Hurts Podcast ToxTalk
- Video Congressional Hearing on Veterans’ “Skyrocketing” Use of Opioids. House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs- Subcommittee on Health.
Hearing title: Between Peril and Promise: Facing the Dangers of VA’s Skyrocketing Use of Prescription Painkillers to Treat Veterans
Washington, DC | Oct 10, 2013
- Video KCTS 9 DOCUMENTARY Prescription for Abuse, 2012 A report on the alarming increase in prescription-drug abuse in Washington state, features Dr. Rosemary Orr
- Video Foundation for a Drug-Free World – The Truth About Painkillers. The Truth About Drugs documentary is the cornerstone of the Drug-Free World Campaign, sponsored by the Church of Scientology. This documentary is the real story of what drugs are and what they do to one’s body and mind—told by people who’ve been there, done them and survived to tell about it.
- Barry Meier author of “Pain Killer” comments on FDA’s opioid label changes – ‘The Diane Rehm Show’ September 12, 2013 produced by member-supported WAMU 88.5 in Washington DC Audio
- A Call to Action Video: Super Star is Fed Up! Rally for a Federal Response to the Opioid Epidemic! September 11, 2013
- The Anonymous People RECOVERY IS OUT – TO CHANGE THE ADDICTION CONVERSATION FROM – PROBLEMS TO SOLUTIONS The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD) – September 17, 2013
- Viva La Evidence James McCormack a parody of Coldplay’s Viva La Vida – a song all about evidence based healthcare — a little bit about the history of evidence and then the key principles, August 22, 2013.
- Binging It Home Two Three Fights and One Epilogue: Fighting Stigma,
Fighting Cyclical Shadows,
Fighting Toxic Inaction
…and an Epilogue. By Betty-Lou Kristy, September 3, 2013.
- Bringing It Home One The cultural shift from storytelling to evidence, By Betty-Lou Kristy, July 26, 2013.
- Pete Jackson ARPO President, tells why one pill can kill and took his beautiful 18 year old daughter, Afflicted by Addiction, Voice America, Hosted by Bradley DeHaven, August 6, 2013.
- Judy Rummler, Chair of the October 1, 2013 D.C. Rally “FED UP” and President of the Steve Rummler Hope Foundation, Afflicted by Addiction, Voice America, Hosted by Bradley DeHaven, July 23, 2013.
- Dr. Andrew Kolodny Leading expert on Opioid Addiction, Afflicted by Addiction, Voice America, Hosted by Bradley DeHaven, July 2, 2013.
- Film about the Marketing of continual Medical ‘education’. The words of this film come from a recent British Medical Journal ‘Frontline’ article by Dr Des Spence: End the Scandal of feee education, published 19 June 2013: bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f3936
- Drug company behind drug summit pled guilty to misleading public about Oxycontin Channel 4 Action News, June 6, 2013
- A World of Hurt: Fixing Pain Medicine’s Biggest Mistake How OxyContin’s Pain Relief Built ‘A World Of Hurt’, New York Times reporter Barry Meier interviewed by Fresh Air’s Terry Gross, May 29, 2013.
- Eyes Wide Open: A Canadian Discussion to Reduce Opioid-Related Harms; Join us for a special Webinar Series, March, 2013.
- Concern over Prescription Opioids in Canada Dr. David Juurlink & Dianne Bailey – CBC Radio Info A.M., Nova Scotia, March 11, 2013.
- Best Advice for People Taking Opioid Medication March 1, 2013 Dr. Mike Evans, Associate Professor of Family Medicine & Public Health at the University of Toronto, Staff Physician at St. Michael’s Hospital, & Director of the Health Design Lab at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, ON.
- Pain, Culture, Opioids: What if Pain was a Verb? University of Washington Pain Specialist Alex Cahana at TEDx Bellevue
- Deaths from Prescription Drug Overdoses Skyrocket, Aired December 31, 2012 – ‘Today Show’
- Presentation slides from the National Summit on Opioid Safety; November 1, 2012
- This video features two patients who were once used by Purdue Pharma as OxyContin “success stories” in a promotional video. The video follows up on these patients to see how things turned out several years later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwtSvHb_PRk&feature=youtube_gdata_player The video tells part of a larger story that is covered in the following article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel by John Fauber and Ellen Gabler, which ran on September 9, 2012 http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/what-happened-to-the-poster-children-of-oxycontin-r65r0lo-169056206.html
- Effectiveness for Chronic Pain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Y3TQUsH4k This video features interviews with Drs. Mark Sullivan, Alex Cahana and Gilbert Fanciullo. The primary goal is to communicate that long-term opioid therapy is not an evidence-based treatment for chronic pain.
- Addiction is NOT Rare in Pain Patients http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgyuBWN9D4w This video has been revised and now features a clip of CDC Director, Dr. Thomas Frieden, interviews with Drs. Russell Portenoy*, Nathaniel Katz*, Andrew Kolodny and Thomas Kosten. The purpose is to communicate that pain patients can become addicted to opioids and that misinformation on this topic played a role in causing the epidemic.
- High Dose Opioid Therapy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kso2zSxgcE This video has been revised and now features Dr. Lynn Webster*, President-elect of the American Academy of Pain Medicine. It also includes Betty Tully and Drs. Jane Ballantyne, and Thomas Kosten. The purpose of this video is to correct the misperception that there is no upper dose limit for opioid therapy and to communicate that high dose prescribing is a dangerous practice.
- Understanding Physical Dependence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pILIJ9VyWAU This video has been revised and now features Dr. Mark Sullivan from the University of Washington. It also includes Betty Tully and Drs. Jane Ballantyne, and Thomas Kosten. The purpose of this video is help prescribers and the public better understand the meaning of the term physical dependence and to correct the misperception that physical dependence on opioids is benign and clinically unimportant. Asterisks (*) indicates that speaker has relationships with opioid manufacturers.
- Nation’s Overdose by Tracy Smith 10-16-11 CBS Sunday Morning – YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QUPmD5Sa8U
- Prescription Drug Abuse, Dr. Andrew Kolodny, BK Independent TV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgW7iAQoNM4
- Canadian Mom Speaks Out
- Dr. Petros Levounis, Member of ARPO’s Medical Advisory Board, on ABC News, April 20, 2011 (Link to video)
- Video 16×9 Dying By Prescription – You Tube; Ada Giudice-Tompson, ARPO Vice President, posted August 2012.
- The Face of Addiction http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q6JqSOcfmn0